Subject: Re: Embedded graphics (was Re: Book metaphor)
From: Tim Berners-Lee <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Wildfong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] (Dave_Raggett), [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 92 17:55:32 +0100

>  The server sends a list of available formats and the client requests the
>  graphic file that it prefers.  This permits the best available graphic  
quality
>  on each of several possible output devices, but imposes an extra network  
delay.
>  Still, graphic files tend to be pretty big, so the extra delay is only a few
>  % of the file's download time.
>  

We wanted to keep the whole thing down to one round trip.  So, intead of the  
server sending over availble formats, the client sends over the set of
formats it supports, with some preference weighting. The server makes the  
decision. See some W3 design notes and  
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP.html
for some waffle about it.  It should all be in HTTP2.

I suggest a link type (attribute?) "MOVETHISTOO" which like "PRSESENTTHISTOO"  
causes the linked document to be sent over whenevr the base document is moved.
Thisc, ombined with the "EMBED_THIS" attribute will give the effect of a  
multipart document, while allowing the format conversion to act intdependently  
on each part.

	Tim
	
(PS: Anyone got a NeXTMail/MIME gateway?)